Services & Philosophy
Telehealth Services Available
Family-Centered Feeding Therapy Services:
Building Happier Eaters Together
Feeding difficulties can be a source of concern and frustration for both children and their families. As a speech therapist who specializes in feeding therapy, I am dedicated to helping children of all ages develop positive eating experiences and improve their overall feeding skills. I assess and address a wide range of feeding challenges, including infant feeding difficulties
(bottle/breast), sensory aversions, oral motor and swallowing difficulties, limited food acceptance, difficulties transitioning to different food textures and Avoidant Restrictive Food Intake Disorder (ARFID). By implementing a responsive and family-centered approach, I work to create a fun and successful feeding environment for your child. My goal is to ensure that every child has a positive and enjoyable feeding experience.
What is Family-Centered Feeding Therapy:
Family-centered feeding therapy focuses on building a healthy and nurturing feeding environment that promotes positive mealtime experiences for the entire family. It recognizes that each family has its unique dynamics, cultural practices, and preferences when it comes to feeding. Our goal is to empower parents and caregivers with the knowledge, skills, and strategies to support their child's feeding development in a way that aligns with their family values.
Key Principles of Family-Centered Feeding Therapy
1. Respect for Individual Differences: I understand that every child is unique, and their feeding journey may be influenced by various factors, including sensory aversions, oral motor challenges, food allergies, and swallowing disorders. I respect and honor these individual differences, working closely with your family to create a tailored treatment plan that considers your child's specific needs, preferences, and developmental stage.
2. Collaboration and Partnership: I strongly believe that parents and caregivers are the experts on their child. I value your input and actively involve you in the therapy process. We work together as a team, sharing knowledge, setting goals, and making decisions that best meet your child's needs. Your insights and observations are crucial in shaping the therapy journey and achieving meaningful progress.
3. Building a Positive Feeding Environment: I strive to create a nurturing and positive feeding environment that supports your child's development and fosters a healthy relationship with food. I offer guidance on establishing regular mealtime routines, promoting appropriate portion sizes, selecting foods for your child’s skill level and creating a fun environment. By promoting positive associations with food, we aim to instill lifelong healthy eating habits.
4. Education and Support: We are committed to equipping parents and caregivers with the knowledge and tools necessary to support their child's feeding development beyond therapy sessions. We provide comprehensive education on topics such as age-appropriate food choices, feeding milestones, responsive feeding techniques, and strategies for managing feeding challenges. We are always here to answer your questions, provide guidance, and offer ongoing support.
Benefits of Family-Centered Feeding Therapy
Empowers parents and caregivers to take an active role in their child's feeding journey.
Enhances the parent-child bond through shared feeding experiences and positive interactions.
Promotes the development of self-regulation skills and a healthy relationship with food.
Supports the generalization of feeding skills in the home environment.
Builds confidence in parents and caregivers to address feeding challenges and make informed decisions.
Speech and Language Services:
Empowering Little Voices
1. Speech Sound Disorders (including Apraxia of Speech): I focus on improving speech sound production and clarity. Through targeted exercises and evidence-based techniques, I help children develop accurate and age-appropriate articulation skills, enabling them to express themselves more clearly.
2. Expressive and Receptive Language Therapy: I assess and address both expressive and receptive language difficulties. We target vocabulary development, sentence structure, grammar, understanding of concepts, and the use of language in social contexts. By enhancing language skills, we empower children to effectively express themselves and understand others.
3.Social Communication Skills: I help children develop vital social communication skills necessary for successful interactions. My therapy focuses on nonverbal communication, understanding social cues, turn-taking, initiating and maintaining conversations, and building social relationships.
4. AAC Support and Strategies: While AAC may not be my specialty, I am knowledgeable in augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) and can provide support and guidance for individuals who may benefit from AAC systems. I can incorporate AAC strategies into therapy sessions and collaborate with AAC specialists to ensure your child receives the most appropriate support.
Why Choose Big Mountain Milestones for Speech and Feeding Therapy?
At Big Mountain Milestones, I understand the importance of choosing the right speech and feeding therapy provider for your child. Here are several compelling reasons why my clinic stands out as the ideal choice:
1. Individualized Care: I prioritize individualized care for each child I work with. Every child is unique, with distinct strengths, challenges, and goals. My speech and feeding therapy services are tailored to meet the specific needs of your child, ensuring personalized attention and targeted interventions.
2.Experienced Speech Therapist: I have over a decade of speech and feeding therapy experience and am comfortable treating even the most medically complex children.
3. Evidence-Based Practices: My therapy services are grounded in evidence-based practices. I strive to stay abreast of the latest research and advancements in the field of pediatric speech and feeding therapy, ensuring that our interventions are effective, up-to-date, and based on best practices. You can have confidence in the quality and efficacy of the services we provide.
4. Collaborative Partnership: I believe that collaboration is key to success. I value open and ongoing communication with parents, caregivers, and other professionals involved in your child's care. By fostering a collaborative partnership, we ensure that everyone is aligned in supporting your child's progress, exchanging valuable insights, and working together towards shared goals.
5. Child-Centered Approach: I place your child at the heart of everything we do. Our therapy sessions are designed to be engaging, motivating, and child-centered. We use play-based activities, interactive exercises, and other child-friendly techniques to create a nurturing and enjoyable environment that encourages active participation and facilitates learning.
6. Compassionate and Supportive Environment: Above being a therapist, I am a mom. I understand the challenges faced by children and families dealing with speech and feeding difficulties. We provide a compassionate and supportive environment where your child feels comfortable, understood, and encouraged. We are here to support and guide you throughout your journey, providing resources, education, and emotional support.
7. Continuity of Care: As a single therapist clinic, we offer continuity of care for your child. I will be with your child throughout their therapy journey, building a strong rapport and understanding of their unique needs. This consistency ensures a seamless and cohesive approach to therapy, leading to better outcomes and progress.
8. Convenient and Flexible Services: We strive to make our services convenient and accessible for families. We offer flexible scheduling options to accommodate your busy lifestyle. Whether you prefer in-person sessions or tele-therapy, we adapt to your needs and provide therapy in a manner that is most convenient for you and your child.
Choosing Big Mountain Milestones for speech and feeding therapy means selecting a dedicated and experienced Speech Therapist that is committed to your child's success. I am passionate about helping children overcome their challenges, reach their full potential, and celebrate meaningful milestones along the way. Contact me today to schedule an appointment and take the first step towards empowering your child's communication and feeding skills.